December 1 – January 31
What do you do with non-working strings of holiday lights (after you’ve tried replacing broken bulbs and fuses)? Recycle them with us by dropping them off between Dec. 1 and Jan. 31 at one of 22 locations in 15 neighborhoods across Chicago.
Yes, you read that right. After collecting more than 1,500 pounds of lights from 12 locations last year, our third annual (non-working) Holiday Lights Collection has almost doubled for this season.
✅ Try replacing bulbs and fuses first. All light sets come with extras
✅ Separate lights from any other decor, garland or wreaths
🚫 No plastic bags
🚫 No cardboard packaging
This year we’ve added locations as far north as the Rebuilding Exchange in Evanston (including their Lincoln Park location), as far west as Forest Glen and in the middle of the city at The Unwaste Shop in the West Loop.
You can drop your non-working lights off during regular working hours. Due to holiday vacation staffing at some businesses, please call ahead.
to our sponsors
Drop-off locations, from north to south:
- Rebuilding Exchange Evanston: 1245 Hartrey Ave. (847-864-9246)
- 50th Ward Office: 2949 W. Devon Ave. (773-262-1050)
- Inspired by Justeen: 6116 N. Broadway St. (773-856-6100)
- 40th Ward Office: 5620 N. Western Ave. (773-654-1867)
- 48th Ward Office: 5533 N. Broadway St. (773-784-5277)
- Forest Glen Animal Hospital: 5330 N. Elston Ave. (773-283-2443)
- Forest Glen Community Club*
- Mr V’s Pizza: 5285 N. Elston Ave. (773-736-9434)
- A Pretty Flower: 2334 W. Lawrence Ave. (773-506-0806)
- 39th Ward Office: 4200 W. Lawrence Ave. (773-736-5594)
- Office of State Rep. LaPointe: 4349 N. Milwaukee Ave. (773-647-1174)
- 47th Ward Office: 4243 N. Lincoln Ave. (773-868-4747)
- Northcenter Chamber of Commerce: 4045 N. Lincoln Ave. (773-525-3609)
- UPS Store: 4044 N. Lincoln Ave. (773-871-1400)
- Erwin Law LLC: 4043 N. Ravenswood, Suite 208 (773-525-0153)
- Henry’s House: 3655 N. Bell Ave. (773-344-1976)
- Rebuilding Exchange: 1740 W. Webster Ave. (773-252-2234)
- 1st Ward Office: 1958 N. Milwaukee Ave. (872-206-2685)
- The Refilleri: 1007 N. California Ave. (312-783-0684)
- The Unwaste Shop: 1108 W. Madison St (312-804-9730)
- The Plant: 1400 W. 46th St. (773-357-7192)
* – Drop-off locations are private residences and will be promoted within the neighborhood.
Volunteer with us!
Help us pickup non-working holiday lights from collection locations. Volunteers will adopt a drop-off site, switch out bins when they’re full and drop them off at our storage unit on Lincoln Ave. just north of Addison.